A Glorious Week in Selah

Hola Familia,

Mom 
I didn't have time to look through the suu thing and then respond to it while on the computer. I did however print it out. thank you for sending me those shoes! really apreciate it. My leg still aches but i take it as a reminder that I'm not perfect and I need to rely on Christ so it's ok! I did not get the shoes yet but I'm very excited! I love you mom! You're incredible way to plant those flowers! I hope to see a great green thumb when I get home!!!

Madsen
I'm sorry about the funk! I know this will teach you that Christ is the only way for you to accomplish what you need to do to find happiness and peace! Best of luck with the prom! thank you so much for writing me!

Grandma Weaver and Grandpa Weaver
Hello! Happy late birthday! I was thinking about you this last week! Love you!

Grandpa Rigby
I heard you had a tough surgery friend. I'm truly sorry about that! Know that you'll be in my prayers! Please take care of yourself and know that Elder Rigby loves you tons! Thank you for the postcard and the letters I'm very excited to get them. I've been able to talk about my family history with others this week and it's been great!

Dad
It sounds that you're going through a lot helping others as always! thank you for showing me how we can be strong through christ! I continue to pray for your business efforts! I will endure to the end!

Maleck





I'm so sorry you got hit in the face. good luck in your game! You are amazing no matter if it goes well or not. just give it your all and be brave!
Stockton 
Hey stay in School Stock! hope prom goes great! love you man!
emma!
Love you Emma you look really pretty!

(Elder Rigby encloses portions of his weekly letter to his missionary in each email- this way he doesn't have to write things twice)

Dear President! 
What a glorious week in Selah! 
Throughout my whole life I've felt this need to be perfect-or act according to my ability as a son of God on a constant basis. This is some cases has been exaggerated in the mission field. I hit a burn out point this last week ,where I saw more clearly than I have ever before seen, the breach between the perfection of the Father and my inability to keep all the commandments of God perfectly. This led me to some despair and made me hunger to know what my Father requires of me through his son to achieve Eternal life. These last couple of days I found these scriptures. They have had a great impact on me!

D&C 1
31 For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance

-I've been feeling this throughout my whole life without understanding what it means. I'm finished. My works will never be enough because I have made mistakes and will surely fall short in the future in some degree.... I'm fallen

Alma 34
9 For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made.
15 And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.
17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;

-I am fallen and for that reason I have a Savior. I can cry out for mercy. His mercy overpowers the justice that accompanies my imperfections.
Mosiah 4
28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.
-I have to give as I have freely recieved

24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
-There will come days that my strength is spent and I have no more to give and in those moments that I realize my inablity I can say...I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.

3 nephi 9
20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost
-We only have to be willing to give it all we have. That's the promis we make when we are baptized(mosiah 18)

Alma 12
34 Therefore, whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my crest.
-If all of are willing to give and receive mercy we will be made perfect in Christ(Moroni 10:32)

I'm not going to be able to understand it all today but how grateful I am that God answered my prayer during the week. Indeed I am a fallen being. No matter how hard I work on my mission my efforts will never be enough to make myself clean or to save others-I can't do it all! Nevertheless, thank heavens we have mercy through Jesus Christ. I will give all that I have and then I will rely on his mercy to carry me home. Heaven be thanked for the gift of Jesus Christ!

I CAN FINALLY BREATHE I DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT! MY GOODNESS IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO GET HERE :)

Elder Lowry
He's been a great friend this week and shared experiences in his life where he felt the same that I felt. He encouraged me not give up and stay diligent doing what I can. We've had a great week together! He has such a great voice and is able to relate to a crowd that I can't sometimes. He's shown me the importance in the beginning of conversations get to know people(loosen up a bit ask them what they like to do) and then introduce yourself to help them know you are a normal person.
He struggles with the repetitiveness of the mission and the discipline it requires to go from day to day but he is trying!  I'm encouraging him to keep mission rules and to be excited about the work because we can make a difference for a lot of families. I annoy him because I'm always excited to find and teach people. I've been able to see the grace of God enable me to be very happy while serving! He has progressed tremendously this last week in his confidence to speak more but we are working on him having more confidence in spanish

Area

Juan Gonsalez
16 year old Juan is truly thinking about baptism. We helped him understand the importance of it but he is fearful to be one, commited, and then two, offend his family because they are Catholic. We invited him to sincerly pray and read ether 12:6 and Morni 10:3-5 in depth. I'm so impressed by his maturity and focus on the things of God instead of his varsity highschool soccer life. Elder Lowry has helped Juan and myself loosen up and get to know eachother so we can be more like brothers/have more trust.
la familia Soto
We did family history with them this last week with our branch president in preperation for the temple trip. It was so fun setting up an account for Hma. Soto so she can begin her family history work
La familia Juarez
We are making great work with the Juarez family. In the past we have primarily focused on the parents but today we have two appointments with their adult sons and their families! very exciting!
Uriel and Sandra
We had a great lesson with Uriel and his wife Sandra this last week. It was not the correct time to start teaching a lot of doctorine but we were able to help them understand that God is going to bless their marriage and their 2 daughters as they learn and apply our message
Jubanal and Rosa
This older hispanic couple is so fun! Even though the 70 yr old husband almost narrated the whole new testament while we were helping them understand that God's plan for their families happiness is back, we were able to help them get excited that God has chosen another prophet! They are going to read the pamphlet and then the first part of the Book of Mormon

We're doing a lot of finding-knocking doors and haven't found tremendous success but with great faith and relying upon his mercy we are going to find those that are ready! I know they're waiting!

District
I had a great exchange with my young missionary friend Elder Gutierrez. We focused on finding joy in the work. He taught me more than I think I helped him! We had a great time laughing and serving! My spanish has gotten really good! He is doing very well. I love his calmness, faith and friendship when people are hesitant to talk to young men in dark jackets and ties. He is going to continue to do very well

The district as a whole is on fire. We have 8 people who are very likely to be baptized by the end of the month. They are all working so hard. I'm so proud of them and excited for a great district meeting this week!

Love,
Elder Rigby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday