Happy Birthday Dad!

Dear DAD,

Happy 44 Chief! While in Sacrament meeting yesterday I felt the prompting that in order to continue getting to know God more I need to recognize what he does or what he's given me and he's given me you. Dad, you've always encouraged me to keep moving forward I remember how you taught me to work hard and pick up rotten apples at the mobile home park and spraying bays at the Car Wash. You were always there making what was important to me like my baseball swing important to you so I could feel better about myself. You, much much like President Monson have lived a life of service. You have helped me understand the truth that a life of service is a happy life because it is according to the nature of God. As you've had your stroke and lost some hairs along the way I've seen you give your heart to God and focus more on his work and helping us feel of his love. You have been much like Lehi shouting with a loud voice beckoning us to come to the tree of light and grab hold of the iron rod. 
Over this last year and a half you have been there as well and I want you to know how proud I am that I'm your son. Thank you for being my Dad. I know God is good because he gave me you. Love you Dad!

Grandpa and Grandma Rigby
-So great to hear from you. Grandpa was very grateful for the letter you sent out to the whole family. That is a very funny story! I love you both very much! 

Grandma Weaver
Thank you so much for sending that package I haven't quite got it yet. I love you Grandma! I love remembering your Cow Girl stories!

Brothers and Emma
Hey Guys I'm so happy that you're reading the Book of Mormon! It sounds that you're all happy and doing very well! I'm so proud that all of you have chosen to fill your life with light and have discovered Christ's rescuing love! Sorry that it's short I need to Email E. Corrington's mom.
Elder Corrington previously injured his shoulder during Highschool wrestling and all his scholarships went away. He fell on the ice and it came out of place and possibly tore tendons. He was then put in a sling. Later when taking off his suit jacket it came out again and we went to the ER...again. He has been in a lot of pain and is being very tough! He has such a desire to serve the Lord amidst his physical limitations. It is incredible. It has frustrated him ammensely that his pain has kept him from doing this work as much as he would like.
He may be going home this next week back to Lehi for surgery. In the mean time we are doing as much missionary work as we can and trying to keep him safe.

Dear President! (update on the work in Toppenish)

I have learned some amazing truths while studying the Book of Mormon in my studies these last couple of days. I've challenged my family to read it and I've taken up the challenge myself. I've put much of my time into 1 Nephi 1 trying to figure out what what lessons God is trying to teach us right off the bat-he pulled a gold book out of the ground there is a reason the first chapter is first. I've loved the principle that Nephi teaches in the first verse of how life is hard but as we obey God's commandments we come to know of his goodness-he loves us because he's our father.

It was so great to talk on the phone with you last night in regards to our good friend Elder Corrington(he has been very careful putting on and removing clothing:) Last week you bolded the letter "WE ALL HAVE OUR STRUGGLES" when I voiced my feelings of Elder Corrington's "easy" beginning to his mission. It seems that his struggle were all saved up for this week. I know God is showing me that we all have battles and it does no good to compare our struggles with those of others.

I was watching the little video of President Monson this morning before I began to email and it amazed me. What a man, he jumped right out of the boat, gave his heart to God, and danced on the water. He was always smiling and laughing. God gave him the ability  to do the impossible and he loved it. I want to have that attitude!

Amidst the fall, the pain meds, the lack of pain meds, and a very strange week for Elder Corrington and I on the mission we found some great success! During his 12 week training we have learned to use the Book of Mormon more effectively in our door approaches to teaching the Restoration simply and with power while helping them understand the principles of the restoration. We seemed to have perfected everything when Elder Corrington went to remove his suit jacket and his shoulder fell out of place again. 

 Both times that it has fallen out he's cried out to our Father in Heaven telling him he's trying. He wants to serve with all his might so much but during this week he has been in so much pain or out of it mentally because of the pain meds(or lack of the said pain med.) His struggle to focus has pushed him to feel that he is selfish. I don't know how he does it. What an example to me.

We had a miracle happen this week when we went to Jobanna Sanchez's home. We talked to her less active son-Oswaldo and he finally opened up to us and described some of the challenges he was going through(girlfriend, feels alone, and angry). We were able to connect to him and tell him how in some ways we have felt the same. I've tried so hard to be able to get him to open up to us in the last 4 months of being here and it finally happend. 
We had a lesson with his Sister Jobanna this last week focusing on who Jesus Christ is and who our Heavenly Father is. Oswaldo is going to help his sister prepare for baptism. Her date is Jan. 27. Jobanna wants so bad for the Gospel to be apart of her Family's life and she doing very well staying positive. We still need to help her find a new job so she can come to Church.

David came out with us to a lesson this week to visit a sad mother named Claudia Bocanegra and he did extremely well. He opened up and described how he has come to know for himself that this is true and can help all of us be happier. It was real special to have him in the back of our car to the lesson. I won't forget it.
The evening the Elder Corrington's shoulder went out the first time Elder Hodges and Elder Gallacher went to the home of Sergio and Mariah. They read Mosiah 3 with them to build there faith in Jesus Christ. We just need to help him build that relationship with Christ and then all else will follow.

We keep getting Walter Torres former very less active member of the branch out with us with his wife. His testimony is growing and it is great to be able to see them start to love each other more and want to find God more.
We've been trying diligently to get a single mom, Seferina, to church. We've been getting members to her home for lessons but she hasn't been there (While we were with a young man from the ward, Parker Reynolds, we found Chris(I need to do better at getting last names) we were able to use our new Restoration approach with the 14 verses and it went very well and he, though he is fearful is very willing to pray and read the Book of Mormon. We missed our appointment because of our other appointments in the ER. We hope to find him again.

We have been working with 2 woman Claudia, younger mother with 3 kids, and Sister Boxer, a less active member. They both need the gospel so very bad but they won't act to reach out for help it's so sad.
We made contact with a single father named Philip and his less active family. He loves his kids and honestly I believe we can see a lot of progress with them in the coming week.

Our ward mission leader and his wife have kept good care of us and Elders Gallacher and Hodges are watching out for us to. Elder Corrington is doing well this morning. We just have to get him to his MRI and then his appointment in Yakima next with with the orthopedic Doc. 

Hope all is well Family and Friends,
Love,
Elder Rigby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday