Buenas mis amigos

April 17, 2017
Hey Everyone!

 STOCKTON HAVE A GRAND BIRTHDAY PAL!!!!!
 I love you all so much! hope you had a great week! Don't got much time but here is an update! I'll respond to y'all in letter thank you so much for the package, letters, and all your emails. I feel so loved from all of you!
 

We worked hard this week. The numbers didn't show it but mentally, spiritually, and physically we gave it our all! We saw miracles! There were heartbreaks along the way but for me Christ's light shines the brightest against a darker canvas.


First off above all miracles my dear friend Robert got a job! He came over to our house, knocked on the door (remember he lives across the street in a tent) apple in one hand, knife in the other and said, "hey guys I got a job." I jumped out the door and gave him a big hug. Wonderful! The funny thing is that the orchard he works in is right next to our home. He simply needed to ask them if he could get a job! Robert is doing well. He is praying everyday and reading the book of Mormon as well he paid tithing this week. It was very touching to see him receive the miracle after the trial of faith.  In his old trailer, he would often ponder on how cool it would be to feel tired after a hard day of work and there he was just drained. We are coming down to the wire he has to stop smoking by the 29th. We need God's help. I don't know how it is to stop smoking. I pray God will guide us as he cuts the final strings to his addiction.

Another miracle was that one day, outside the home of a potential investigator, Elder Garcia had a feeling we needed to go to the home of an older couple in our promised land "The Orchard View Trailer Park." I told him we better go and so we went. When we arrived at their home, nearly their whole family was there. We had a little bit of small talk but there came a moment where we didn't know what to say. The Mother, Maxamina, seemed a little down but we didn't know why. At that moment, I just told God that I didn't know what to do please help me. I then just listened to the spirit and asked a question to the Father of the family, Marcos, "how do you feel to have the family you have Marcos?" It was very simple but as Elder Garcia and I listened and then continued to ask questions they began to open up and express how much love they have for their family and the sadness they are currently experiencing with their older son in jail due to problems that I'm not exactly sure of but stem from the fact that he, like many others in Bridgeport, is an illegal immigrant. We were able to comfort them by sharing scriptures and bearing testimony that God is our Heavenly Father and he loves us. We were about to leave when the oldest son, Filipe, asked us to give his mother and Father a blessing. I don't know how he knew about blessings but he did(they're catholic). It was incredible. I gave my first blessing in Spanish. God does and can make weak things become strong-like me. Since this event we have been over once to share a little bit more of our message. Maxamina has the question of why are their so many churches. We hope as we, being lead by the spirit, answer her question that her heart will soften to the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Another miracle happened yesterday when we ate Easter dinner at a less active sister's home with her and her granddaughter sam. Sam is currently struggling with some mental challenges. We didn't get the details but she voiced how they are really weighing her down. it was a miracle to me that I could testify that Jesus Christ can freely give hope, love, and peace even when we feel we are in the dark with problems that come from mental illnesses. It's amazing to me that God lets us go through struggles. He let's us carry a weight too heavy for us to bear alone, so we have to ask him for help. That help has come for me and now I am able to testify to others with some of the same struggles as me that there is help for them too! To be honest I still struggle daily with anxiety but this was a tender mercy because it gave me the power and faith to help Sam know that Jesus Christ can help her.

There were many great things that happened as well this week such as..
.
tortilla making/carne asada dinner as a Branch party!-Judith and all her friends came including Raquel. They all loved it!

We really helped the Bridgeport food bank stay afloat as many of the previous volunteers had started working in the orchards

We also had a basketball tournament with many of the boys in the area. It started with Basketball, then to eating nachos, and then a tour of the church

We met a father that had his little boy going to surgery in Spokane later this month and were able to comfort him.

We helped strengthen the faith of Sandro Servine, the son of Julian servine, that he can receive answers to his prayers that someone is listening to him-his Father.

We also ran into George Britt on the street and gave him hope in Jesus Christ and helped him understand that as he prays with all he has to ask God to help carry those hard things in life that he can find Peace and that The Book of Mormon can bring so much peace as well.

We were walking down the street after a somewhat frustrating day and this mother asked us if we could come back and talk more to her about the bible. 

Oh and one thing that was kind of funny was that this older lady named Teresa really pushed my button and I turned to leave as she came to the door, yelled that she wan't interested, I asked if we could help her with anything , she said "oh are in the landscaping business now?" I nicely and boldy explained our purpose is to help others in anyway we can, she said something really rude and I just said good bye and looked over my shoulder to see Elder Garcia still at the door. I shyly walked back and after some other very rude comments we finally softened her heart and left on good terms- very funny Elder Garcia is such a calm guy. Love him

A very sad thing is Raquel's normally drunk boyfriend that she unfortunately has had 4 kids with was as we call anti-ed by a Jehovah wittness relative and we have been unable to help them come closer to Christ this week/teach them a lesson. Very sad but hopefully tonight we'll find them!

Elder Garcia and I are growing closer together. Recently we learned through watching some of the Missionary training videos(district) that in order to truly help someone we must trust the spirit, love/focus on the investigator, pause, ask an inspired question to the investigator, listen and then teach the doctrine.

Over the last couple of days the same thing has constantly reappeared in my studies-Hearken/look. To be honest my anxiety has been hitting me pretty hard the last couple of days and it's tough. the Devil is cheap and mean and sometimes I lack the strength to fend off his blows completely. It makes me feel burdened down, sad, and unsure of myself. God has been prepping me and teaching me to accept this..

Alma 33
19 Behold, he was spoken of by Moses; yea, and behold a type was raised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live.

20 But few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them.

21 O my brethren, if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in unbelief, and be slothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish?

22 If so, wo shall come upon you; but if not so, then cast about your eyes and begin to believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to atone for their sins; and that he shall rise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the resurrection, that all men shall stand before him, to be judged at the last and judgment day, according to their works.

23 And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen.

Anxiety is a mind game. I know as I turn to my Savior. As I look to him in my thoughts, I will receive life. My burdens will be made light. I will be mad conquerror through him that loves me. 

My prayer this week is that my dear friends Robert, Raquel and her kids, the Marcos and Maxamina's family, all my other brothers and sisters will as well be able to look to Christ in every thought that together our burdens will be made light through our Savior. He overcame death for us. He suffered for us he suffered for me. I have faith in him! He will help Elder Garcia and I bring the Holy Ghost to their hearts that they as well as us may be brought closer to our Savior! I am so grateful for him. I'm excited to see how he uses me this week in this great, little, beautiful place called Bridgeport!
p.s Spanish is going pretty good!:)

Love,
Elder Rigby



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday

1st transfers