Leaving Bridgeport, April 24, 2017

Hello Family! 
I'll look at my email in a few hours for a couple of minutes to send a couple pictures. feel free to send a few questions my way.

Thank you for all your love! I absolutely loved your loving cards! Also it was really fun to get new shirts, ties, garments, and some extra cash:) 
It was hard to spend my first Birthday away from home but as we graduated our 90 day program of p90x, the elders gathered around me and sang happy birthday.  Judith cooked some tamales for me, President Schoenwald's boys made me birthday cards and cookies, and A gem of lady/recent convert in Brewster made me a BIG carne asada dinner with Carrot cake, I felt right at home. It was so strange to be away from Stockton. Stockton, I love you bro I missed you. I hear that your praying for these people I'm working with. Thank you so much Bro. I know you are not the same Stockton that I left 9 months ago. I know that Christ has strengthened you and I'm so proud of you. I hope your Birthday was just grand. I love even though I didn't have my favorite Birthday gift (Stockton) with me here in Bridgeport that you are following Christ. I couldn't be more pleased!
My Carrot Cake- Happy 19th bday to me!- Thanks Sister Armstrong.  She also made a hug Carne Sada Dinner for my birthday!
Saturday morning Elder Najarian received a call and because a call from President is a big deal, we listened in. President sensed we were around, so he allowed us to listen in. Elder Najarian and I are being doubled into Hood River Oregon- 2 companionships, one English and another Spanish are being doubled out. We will be over an English ward and a Spanish group- we will be companions. This is clear on the other side of the mission. This is like a special mission within a mission. It's so cool and I'm so pumped. The people seem, according to president, not as open. We are going to work our tails off. My whole life has led up to this. I'm ready for the challenge, and I feel incredibly humbled to be called of God to serve there.



The District



Celebrating the 90th day of P90x


Doing service with Elder Garcia
This week has been one for the books and Elder Garcia and I have just had a blast. It was full of big downs and great ups!
The sad news is that after helping Robert bit by bit come closer to Jesus Christ,( we went to go visit him Tuesday night) and he dropped us. We haven't been able to talk to him since so I cannot truly say what the underlying cause was. We drove to pull into his friends dirt driveway and found him waiting for us. With tears in his eyes he just said he needs to find himself and that in order to handle waking up early and walking to work he needs to drink his coffee. He wants to take a break and stop everything. I was truly in shocked. Both Elder Garcia and I said a few words in response to help him- remember that he has a Father in heaven that loves him and that we love him. After speaking to him we sat in the car not saying anything until Elder Garcia asked me what was on my mind. My heart just popped I cried for the first time in a long time expressing my fears that when I finally make it to my Savior's feet Robert may not be there. Elder Garcia took this low of mine and picked me up and encouraged me to read Alma 31 with him. Robert has made his choice for now and I will talk to him before I leave. This was a very difficult moment, but I am very grateful that Elder Garcia picked me up and brushed me off. He is a true friend.


The next day we had a lesson with a girl named Daisy. Daisy is the sister of one of our former investigators. We applied what we had learned during district counsel-How to begin teaching to really establish why we are there, how this message can help her, and that we will invite her to baptism later in the lesson if we feel the spirit prompt us to do so. Daisy feels confused. She doesn't know where she needs to go in life and she just wants to feel like God is there for her. We helped her understand that she will find direction and she will feel him near as she comes to Jesus Christ. She said that if she receives an answer from God that our message is true she will be baptized on May 20. It is incredible to see People choose to follow him. 

On Sunday, I went on exchanges with Elder Holly. We went to visit one of their potential investigators named Llesenia. Llesenia is a young single mom with a little 1 year old boy. She is very burdened down with trying her very hardest to be there for her son as well as provide for his needs temporally. She also feels so very sad that Adan, her little boy, will grow up thinking that he doesn't have a father that loves him. Her tears just poured out as she described this to us, and it was so sad just to get a glimpse at the pain, fear, frustration, and despair she feels on a daily basis. Elder Holly and I began and shared that our message will change everything. As we focused on how Christ felt everything and that as we follow him we will find peace. We invited her to baptism and she said yes! This was so tender for me because I had been fasting that somehow I could find someone who needed to be lifted and that the spirit would be there. My life will never be the same. Everyday and especialy during moments like this I just think who I would be if God hadn't strengthened me and allowed me to be able serve in his vineyard. I feel a very small role but it feels my heart to bursting to see those who are in the dark take the first steps towards the light!

Yesterday we went to the hospital to visit a good friend who lives in Bridgeport, Ric. Ric had to have his shoulder surgery redone. We visited and spoke with him very briefly and left. The spirit prompted me to go back with Elder Holly and ask if he would like a priesthood blessing. After describing briefly what a blessing is, we gave him a blessing. I have never felt the faith that I felt through me God could truly heal someone; however there I did. Ric was very grateful.

With Branch President Schoenwald- going to miss him!
My house mates and President Schoenwald

Later that day, we went to the home of the Armstrongs where Sister joyce armstrong (79 abouts) was celebrating her wedding anniversary. Her husband had died a year ago. While giving a spiritual thought, the spirit used me to testify to her that as a representative of Jesus Christ I testify that your husband lives. I don't know why God uses me. I am weak but time after time as I believe in him he works miracles. Sometimes through me and it's incredible.

Good happenings during this week...
went 30 minutes north to mansfield to help an elderly couple for most of the day with their yard and strengthen their faith. Sister Geren has cronic headaches and she really needed some loving words. I know we helped them a lot!
We also served another elderly sister who is in a wheelchair clean up her house.
We found lots of people this week!
Diana and Jose-trying to follow Jesus Christ gave them Gospel of Jesus Christ pamphlet and they love it
Maricruz-She wants to have an eternal family and very excited for us to come back
Jesus-13 yr old boy from Mexico, met missionaries down there excited to come to church
The less active Brother George came to church for the first time this week for three hours and is going to read the book of Mormon he is struggling a lot with alcohol and is searching desperately for peace
We worked really hard to get Brian to youth Conference and he went down to Yakima. He came back at 1 am-loved it
Judith is going to the temple this week
Ruby the single mom who returned to activity-we taught her about the temple and she is very excited to go as well this week

Elder Garcia has become my true friend. He has taught me to be still and listen. Yes I will have to remember this lesson I have taught. By applying what he has taught me I have had incredible studies over the last week. Everyday becomes a lesson and because of Elder Garcia's example I've stopped, listened and pondered on the lessons God is teaching me which have in turn helped me profoundly be able to help the people in my path believe more in Jesus Christ.

I'm going to miss Elder Garcia tremendously. Besides my Brothers he is the best friend I have.

In my personal studies this week I have begun to reread the book of Mormon. As I have read and looked up cross references I have learned.... I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

That because Christ is who his and did what he did he has Mercy for me-power and that if I believe in him and come to him recognizing that I cannot be who I need to be and do what I need to do without him he will make me mighty. Through him I will be able to help others receive God's love. Blessed be his name. 

I love you all so much! I pray that God watches over you this whole week and that every moment you have his spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday

1st transfers