Week one- Hood River

Saying Good bye to the Aguilar Family in Bridgeport, Washington
Hey Hey! How's it going everyone!

answering questions for mom!
Elder Garcia is staying in bridgeport

Hood River is a tourist town that is surrounded by Orchard towns. Kite boarding is huge in this part of Oregon. It has  HUGE snow peaked mountains (Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood) which  bring many outdoorsmen and people from around the world. It is so green, so beautiful, and has so many more people.

We traveled 6 hours south to get here.
Elder Najarian and I were housmates yes. He served across the river in Brewster while I served in Bridgeport
We still speak spanish. There are many orchards around. We serve in a large English ward but spend most of the day talking to hispanics. Many of them are catholic or jw and hard to work with.

Also E. Najarian and I go running every morning! I love it! He is from downtown SLC.  He comes from a home without a father. He loves to work super hard! I'm so happy we are very similar.

Stockton! I 'm glad solo and ensemble went well for you pal! What's going on in your life good friend. I want to know. I really want you to know that I love you! haha I always say that but I do. Can't believe you are going to be a senior next year. Weird!  How is your ankle doing? any fun plans this week? I want you to know that your challenges are preparing you to meet those that are in the world right now waiting to hear your voice. They need you prepare for them by praying with all your heart and taking time (doesn't have to be a lot) to read and take in personal revelation that guides you how to avoid future challenges and temptations that will come in your way. Love you pal! tease Dad for me!

Madsen glad you're loving baseball! how has that been going? (position, recent games tell me:) Over all how is everything going for you. Heard your last game is friday! that's exciting! Madsen I want you to know That you are special. You have a light where no one else's can shine! You are Great. Those around you are lucky to have you! I miss your smile and all your jokes! Love you Madsen! Please take extra effort to pray on your knees in the morning:) take it easy pal!

Emma! How are you doing? Oh my goodness there is this girl up here who is your age that look so like you it made me miss you so much! School's almost out that must be exciting! Are you still enjoying your break from basketball? I hope you are! Emma I want you to know today that I love you. You mean the world to me! I miss your smile so much! You're so cute! You may not know it but there are so many people that look up to you Emma and they need you to be there friend! You have a light that when people see it, it makes them happy! That's why I miss seeing you! talk to you later! Keep being awesome!

Maleck! how is my best pal doing? So you're right in the middle of baseball season I imagine! I hear you're doing great! Nice pal! you know when I was your age I'd get suuuuper nervous before and during Baseball Games. I want you to know that no matter what happens, as long as you try your best you are good enough. It doesn't matter what happens because even if you do mess up and you eventually will. YOu are still awesome because you are a son of God! What truly is important is that your kind and help those around you on the team know that they're good and sons of God too! I love you Maleck you're such a stud! I'll pray that your games and practices go well this week! keep up the good work! believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Area-
What an incredible place and a huge change from Bridgeport! We have 3 main investigators as of now

Jorge Selano- Jorge was previously taught by the Spanish Sisters in the area. Jorge works in the Orchards and is about 26 years old. He is very family oriented and currently lives with his family. Jorge has been taught almost all the lessons however his understanding has been a little slow(teaching record describes). Our first morning in the area we met him at his home, described  to him how our message helps, who it is centered on and then bit by bit he will come to know for himself that these things are true, and as his understanding grow he will want to come closer to God and eventually choose to be baptized. After helping understand the restoration we invited him to be baptized on May 27. He accepted. He was out of town this Sunday helping family and was unable to come to Church. He does well with reading the Book of Mormon. 

Joshua Lively-Joshua is 23 years old. He recently graduated with a bachelors in Japanese culture(sadly in look for work). Joshua has been taught by the previous English Elders quite a bit. Even though he has read to 1 Nephi 20. He has not recognized an answer from the Holy Ghost even though he has been reading and asking God diligently. We had a tremendous lesson with him on Thursday on the restoration. We invited him to come to Church(he hasn't yet come to church) and he came! He loved it. He's a very shy guy who doesn't really express himself that much but as I was talking with him at the end of Church he said he loved the feeling of community and will be coming back next week! The members were so loving and kind! This English ward is absolutely incredible. I would go to say that 30 people shook Joshua's hand. One even invited him over for dinner!
He did not accept a date for baptism but he is searching for an answer and says he will act on it and be baptized.

Sandra Perez-Sandra is 28 years old. She is very kind, quiet and lives with her mother. She is also schizophrenic. She recently started talking to a therapist. We had an awesome lesson where we got to know her! She likes vegetables like me. She seems burdened down. I myself have had my own struggles,  so it was great to be able to reach out and be able to understand I can begin to understand where she is coming from. She has strong desires to have a fresh start and be made clean. She accepted May 20 as a day where she could begin to prepare to be baptized

Some of the special people we met this week...
Rosario and her 2 boys, Bryan and Anthony. Rosario was baptized 2 years ago. She loves the Book of Mormon. She loves her boys incredibly and is trying to separate from her mean husband but lacks the funds to do so. Bryan(13) is super distant and angry about the whole situation. Anthony has a big smile. We focused on the rest Jesus Christ can bring and coming back to Church. We will be going back this week

One of the most memorable times of the week was when we taught 4 men around the same age as us but a little older.  We shared the message of the restoration and bit by bit their hearts began to open up. We helped them learn how to pray and gave a very strong explanation of the Book of Mormon and why it's so important. This particular meeting made me think how my life would be very different without the mission. They are good boys but I can see an emptiness in their eyes. I pray that as we follow up tomorrow they prayed, read and received an answer.

The Ward
My goodness what a change! We went from a branch without a second Counselor to a huge ward! They feel the chapel! Great men who are willing to go out with us on lessons! 8 active young men! Wow! So far we've had a member present lesson with Joshua and a very kind guy named Brother Adkins who came out tracting with us( he is looking for work and it was incredible to see his trust in God). Honestly This ward is a bus for missionary work! I love tracting and we did a lot of it this week but if we , and we plan to, get this ward going on establishing family mission plans where they set a very specific goal, a plan, and a time period to accomplish it-we won't have to track anymore because they will have found the people to teach.

OH my goal this transfer is to become a greater teacher-to do it this way. I will be studying chap 10 of preach my gospel and making personal and daily goals based upon it

Companionship/Personal
I'm going to miss Elder Garcia. We spent some great last days together. It was very difficult to say goodbye to all the people. Elder Garcia taught me to listen. He taught me to stop, think and love the people one by one door by door! it was awesome to see us grow close together as friends/Brothers. Seriously I love the Gauetamalan guy! I'm certain we will see each other again! We're pals for life.

Saying goodbye to the Aguilar family was an experience I will never forget. We first went and had dinner with them at President Schoenwald's home. With curfew coming in close I had to say goodbye fairly quick. Judith offered a prayer and she thanked God that he sent me to their home to bless their family. While crying she asked God if he could protect me and my family. As saying goodbye to Bryan he just gave me a hug and just sobbed. He told me thank you. I told him I would always be there for him. I told him he's an amazing guy and as he reads the Book of Mormon he will always have God with him. I also expressed to the whole family that I will always be there for them and that I love them with all my heart and that I will come back. Such a peace came over me. I had run the race and finished my course up to that point. All the hardships of my life had lead me to this. God had blessed me with the strength and direction to overcome my challenges and then find a family that needed to hear about his son from me. 

When I put my papers in to serve my mission I wanted 2 things pine trees and mountains. I came to Hood River and got both. the snow peaked mountains are incredible. Elder Najarian and I are working ever so hard. He has the same work ethic/way as me. We love to go tracting. We love to run together in the morning-everything. Since he is nearing the end of his mission-5 months left he is not wasting time. We found many potential investigators this week and I know that with great humility, faith, and diligence God will endow upon us power to not only find, help people repent, and be baptized, but to also help this ward catch the spirit that they can family by family help those they love come to Christ.

  Satan had been growing in me for a while. Thankfully, I was able to  turn to Elder Najarian for help this weekend. I haven't been able to extinguish it but Satan has lead me to believe that no matter how hard I try or how much I give to help others, It will not be enough to save them or me. That for whatever reason I am incapable of serving with ALL my heart, might, mind, and strength. This lie began and has grown since I felt I failed my years of track, not being able to get a girlfriend in high school, feeling like I wasn't a good enough brother,  a football that bounced off my face mask homecoming game senior year, and an overall feeling that no matter how hard I push, it just isn't enough.  But the  love God  is always enough. Elder Najarian sat down with me and helped me to understand that I am enough  

I now know after what God told me during sacrament meeting that I am not perfect. I cannot love perfectly yet; However that's the beauty of it. I can always become better. For now Jesus Christ has made it possible that even if I fall short if I am just diligent- he will make me enough. I am enough because he lives.
So grateful for Elder Najarian admidst my tears he helped pull me up, dust me off and see who I am.

Love,
Elder Rigby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday