January 16, 2017


Hi Family,
I'm doing great. I feel the spirit with me and because of that I know the Lord is pleased with what I'm doing. But honestly for a majority of this week I kind of struggled. I was feeling sad. This caused me to really hit my knees and ask for my Father's help. I can honestly say he may not give us rest/peace/strength immediately but he does give it. I was being discouraged for really no good reason. Satan is a liar and a fool he will not make me feel bad about myself or feel negative towards the progression or digression of the people I'm trying to help here in Bridgeport.

This morning I looked to chapter 1 of preach my gospel to reaffirm what my purpose is as a missionary. I read this....2 Nephi 2: 6-8
6 Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth.
7 Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.
8 Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.

I also read... Doctrine and Covenants 123

12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—
 13 Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—
 14 These should then be attended to with great earnestness.
 15 Let no man count them as small things; for there is much which lieth in futurity, pertaining to the saints, which depends upon these things.
 16 You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves.
 17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

My friends in Bridgeport need to Come unto Christ or they cannot be saved!!! I have to help them, and I can do it cheerfully or as my hispanic friends say con ganas! 
This week I took a step back to ponder,  and I'm so glad I'm here. God is making me better. Good thing I still have a year and a half because it'll take sometime for him to shape me into who I need to become.
Elder Nelson and I are doing well! He sure is a deep thinker kind of likes to move slow and calmly thinking things out before he makes a move. He's been especially kind to Robert, our good friend who living a rough life in a broken down mobile home. It's really cool to see him open up and show the love his has. He's so kind and Robert is benefitting greatly from his kindness!
Tracting in Bridgeport

In our area everything is going pretty great, maybe a few little bumps but it'll take a little more than that to slow us down:
We were able to get into the houses of 2 families that we usually aren't able to get into.

Late one night we were able to get into Ruby Britt's house and talk to her and all her kids(she's a single mom and luckily because her brother was there we got inside). We came by just to drop by some rice Krispies I had made and say hello and see how they were doing but actually we got in and talked to her 11 year old daughter about how important it is to pray and read the scriptures. I think the Ruby, the mom, really appreciated it! I love talking to kids and helping them understand how much their father in heaven wants to hear from them and help them!

Also we are getting in with this less active family-Ruby's mother and sisters that live together. We talked with them about how great it is that we can pray! I think they like us this is really good! There is a lot of kids in that house that could maybe be baptized and help the whole family come back to church!

 Our investigators
Robert is slowly cutting back on the cigarettes. I wish I could relate to him better because this is truly very hard for him and on top of his poor living conditions and trying to overcome the addiction a mean guy a couple months ago punched him the mouth and broke his 2 front teeth. This causes him tremendous pain and because he has no health insurance he hasn't been able to go to the dentist. I just feel bad for him but since we've been meeting with him we've been able to see light come to his eyes. It's incredible. The gospel is blessing and changing his life. I have a first row seat to how the grace of Christ enables people to rise above their challenges. I see him do it with me all the time, but it's a great testimony builder to see it in others. This week we taught him the plan of Salvation. This was so special to him because ever since his mom passed away a couple of decades ago he still hasn't been able to forgive God. Often times in the lesson he would begin to tear up as memories of his mom would be coming back; however, those tears soon turned to tears of joy when we helped him understand that Christ really has overcome Death. It's so beautiful just to think about it. Also, we helped him understand that Christ can help us overcome the challenges of life(his addiction) as we come unto Christ by doing just the simple things of prayer and scripture study. Today we will teach him the Gospel of Jesus Christ focused on how through Christ we can live his gospel and be made clean, stronger, and better then who we were yesterday. To me this is repentance.

I love visiting with these people because the truth is I have so much work to do so talking about Christ's gospel reminds me what I can do better and builds my testimony in that he grace will make me better!

Oh and my good friend Bryan. What a great kid! He came to Church on Sunday and at a little potluck we had after the block I was really able to sit down and get to know him a little more. It's hard in Spanish but thanks to God's help I'm able to communicate. Bryan has such a desire to follow Christ and be baptized; however, he feels unworthy despite being one of the most incredible people I've met. He's 13 but feels more like 19. It was an answer to my prayer when he told me that he likes it there in the church and he really likes how I share the Gospel with excitement "animo" he told me other churches haven't shared the gospel with him in this way. I can't describe it but after our talk I felt like we became a lot better friends which is a really good thing because he has been struggling a little with the concept of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ being 2 people. Our strengthened friendship allowed me to tell him that he truly is ready for baptism and that he may have doubts or questions but him and I can find answers together.
Bryan's family is doing pretty well his little brother Alex who's 10 gave some great answers during the lesson I taught about Jesus Christ in the spanish gospel principles class. Sadly though Bryan's and Alex's Mom Judith has a boyfriend who not only makes it difficult for Judith to get on track but also hindered our lesson with weird philosophies when we tried to share the plan of salvation last week. Oh well makes the road a little more exciting I guess. No need to fear God will help us we just need to work really hard and have Faith.

As far as finding new investigators this week we ran into tons of very strong Catholics this week, and despite of showing them that we care about them and testifying of the restored Gospel the best we could they really don't want to see us again. Don't worry will be back! because Bridgeport is so small we always will get to talk to them again:)

Things are going super well! Sometimes I get discouraged because I put my heart out there and people just like let it freeze. What's up with that! I'm not going to get frustrated I'm going to have a great week!

Mom thank you for your letter I'm going to read it in a couple minutes just got it! You're amazing mom I love you so much and you are helping so many people. I talked about you yesterday to a family. I actually talk about you a lot how you mi mama me ha ensananda muchisimo cosas del ejemplo de cristo- my mom has taught me so much about the example of Jesus Christ! Thank you for who you are. I'm trying to be more like you! keep going I love you and yes it would be tremendous if I could get the Liahona that way! 

Dad I'm so sorry you're sick I love you tons working hard like a rigby should and trying to relax too
please tell grandpa I'm so sorry he fell off the ladder and I really hope he's feeling a little better today

Love, 
Elder Rigby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday