The parable of the cookie-

Here's my update! I'll reply to all your great emails in a second!
What a great week! A great time to be alive and be a missionary! We found a lot of new people this week including families, had many of our investigators come to Church, and what do you know I even had some fun doing it!
Tracting with Elder Garcai
Me personally I'm doing pretty great! It is simply incredible how much I learn here in one day! This week I've learned a little more about some major principles...
Choosing to follow Christ and loving it.
Last night we left a dinner at our Branch Presidents home with a plate of cookies in my hand for the other Elders and I. They had fed us pretty good so I didn't want to eat another cookie-I need to stay fit! However, the funny thing is, this cookie looked so good and I soon was caught in a dilemna of frustration being torn between 2 choices of eating or not eating the cookie.-Then it just clicked! This is a lot like Choosing to give all my heart to Christ or only giving him part of it. Because I had 2 competing desires(keeping a good figure:) or eating a delicious cookie) I became distracted, frustrated, and even though i chose not to eat the cookie it made me frustrated because I really wanted that cookie! 
In the work if I don't make a definite choice of following Christ and giving my all 24/7 I can become unhappy because inside of me the wanting to eat the cookie part of me wants to maybe take it a little easy/give in to pessimism/or a lesser choice. The point is I need to Choose! Do I love him with everything I have or not! To be honest I don't love him with everything I have right now but I want to! I'm asking for his help so one day I can say I do love him with EVERYTHING I have! I know this will not only help me be happier but it will make my life into something simply amazing! I can't wait for that day when everything I do from every thought to every word and action is guided for my love for him!
I also loved to read chapter 3 of President Hinckley's book! He helped me see that being happy is a choice! If we focus on the positivity in the world-Christ-we can always be happy! We just have to choose!

Elder Garcia and I are doing pretty great! I have to say it is HUGE that he is from Guatemala. He cannot only speak the language perfectly but he is able to relate to these people so much easier than I can. Sometimes I'm a little bit like Go GO Go which causes me to be a little anxious when talking to the very relaxed Hispanics. He is helping me realize more and more each day that it is important to relax! Thanks to his example I've loosened up a little bit this week and have tried to enjoy every moment! I have a very strong testimony that we are given our companions for a reason! He isn't to fond of tracting in the night when plans fall through because one day in his last area an old white guy opened up and shot at the ground. I'm helping him realize that doesn't usually ever happen! Bit by bit I will help him have a better outlook on tracting! He is a little shy and it intimidates him a little bit which is alright. He has many strengths that I don't have and I have some that he doesn't have! That is what makes us a team! 
Elder Garcia is also helping me with my language studies-very helpful and he is very patient!
In the area we are having so much success! This Week we found 2 families with quite a bit of potential!  Today we are planning to stop by both of them. Both families have boys that around 11 and 2 younger kids a little younger than 8! The Dads speak Spanish but the Moms speak English and have jobs. They kind of remind me of my mom and I let them know how cool I think it is that they are great moms that work so hard for their kids and our message will bring so much happiness and strength to their families! Tracting has also been pretty effective this week we found many potentials and established follow up appointments! One of the people we found was a retired marine named Anthony. Anthony went to jail shortly after his retirement in the service. When he left the service, some other elders bumped into him and gave him a Book of Mormon. Anthony now reads the Bible and the Book of Mormon as he is trying to come closer to God. We will meet with him this week!

Our investigator Robert

Robert
Robert continues to progress! this week we taught him about baptisms for the dead-focused on his mom who passed a couple of years ago in hopes to instill a sense of urgency to quit smoking, get baptized, and go to the temple. He loved it and it was a terrific lesson but he is still set on being baptized on May 14
Judith and her boys Bryan, and Alex
They are doing pretty good! They all came to Church Yesterday! It was such a beautiful sight to see her with her boys and her little girl Ashley all walking into the Chapel! Judith had a great time she is finding friends and she is excited to come next week! Alex loves primary! Bryan is doing pretty good but he isn't asking God if this is all true and this has caused him to get stressed out. They are all doing pretty well but they just have to read and ask God if this is all true! To help them we will talk about prayer and how because God loves us he will help us not walk in darkness-focusing on a Baptims date for the whole family! Personal Revelation is so key-This is a very important lesson for me to learn and for them! 
This week as well we are going to put more focus on strengthening and loving the Branch we bought some valentines cards for the relief society Sisters. We know in order for this Branch to Grow and be able to retain our investigators as they come and and eventually be baptized we have to have strong members! I love them and I hope together we can see that through Christ we can really help so many people here in Bridgeport!

Add caption


Hello again,
I didn't use all my email time so I have a little bit more! 
Mom I love you so much I sent you and emma a card for valentines day! Both of you, I love you so much! Mom you are doing an amazing job as yw president I'm so proud of you!
Stockton 
It's one thing to be happy when things are going well! Your attitude in the midst of this has be phenomenal I'm so so proud of you! You have the heart of a champ!
Dad
thank you for your email dad! I plan to start working more with the YM president here and the YM. Your vision has really helped me so much I hope we both can have success helping these ym see their potential! Thank you for helping me understand that I can be even better day by day1 you taught me not to be afraid. Thank you Dad.
Madsen
Man you sure killed it this season madsen! I'm so proud of you! I really hope your anxiety is ok pal! It's tough pal. You're strong you can do this! this successful season shows you can do it!
Maleck!
I love you pal! You are cooler than cool! what have you been up to? Hope you have a great day! I love you maleck!
everyone
I'm soooo happy and proud about what you are all doing in the morning this is a recipe to happiness! Love you guys!
answering questions
i played Basketball
positive self talk is helping me overcome my anxiety.. I am..strong,capable,safe,doing great
Elder Garcia has been out just as long as I have no more no less
I wrote letters and played basketball today
Oh we got a new schedule I LOVE IT! Miracles are happening here! It's really cool! WE CAN AND WE WILL SAVE THIS TINY TOWN OF BRIDGEPORT! haha love you all have a great week

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday