Baptismal date set for Judith

The Cocoa Puff Puds are being Very well received.
Dear Family and Friends,

YES! ha ha great week and an even greater week to come! 

The progression of Judith this last week has been nothing short than a miracle. Last week she was thinking about being baptized after her boys and then on Tuesday during a lesson she changed her mind she wants to be baptized this Saturday February 25

At the beginning of the lesson we read Mosiah 18... 
  8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

 9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

 10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

We simply asked her is this what you want? She was just a little bit hesitant as we thought so we shared a video of Elder Bednar about receiving personal revelation, read James 1:5, reviewed how we should pray and asked Bryan her oldest son to give a prayer. It was an amazing moment. It's one thing to be pleading for help for myself. However, it was quite another to be pleading that they would receive an answer. At the end of the prayer we just sat for a little bit and then just asked Judith how she felt. She said, "Quiero ser bautizado." 

At this point we hadn't taught her hardly any of the big commandments such as the word of wisdom, chastity, or tithing so during the week with the help of members we taught them all the commandments. 

They also began to pray as a family and Judith began to read the Book of Mormon.

During  one of the lessons during the middle of the week we were going to say a prayer and all the sudden Judith was leaving her chair and getting on her knees while we were still sitting so we quickly got our act together and kneeled as well. She just said such a beautiful prayer thanking God so humbly for sending us to her and for the light that her family is receiving. She's amazing. I feel so humbled to be the person that God chose to bring her the Gospel.

Yes- She's made some bad choices (having 4 children with 3 men) and she drank coffee but she accepted the commandments easily. She reminds me a little bit of my mom she loves her kids so much and this was made evident especially in the lesson we had last night at her home with our Branch president

Now to this point Judith had just a couple days previously chosen to be baptized with her boys on their date of Feb. 25. Alex the boy who's 11 was just following his Mom(he's also been loving primary). Bryan had been a little hesitant but with some of the encouragement of him mom he had stuck to the date of Feb. 25. They all had agreed to live all the commandments(not tithing yet) and were reading a little bit and praying quite regularly as a family.

We taught the lesson of tithing and fast offerings and Judith excepted it so easily-a huge sign of Faith. However Judith's boy Bryan seemed troubled and we didn't know really quite why so we asked him. He said basically they he will be baptized on feb 25 but only if his pastor  baptized him.

Okay so we had taught them everything and then all the sudden this-just imagine that. Whoo it was a big shock to all of us. However our Branch Pres.-Pres Schoenwald-(a great guy by the way)-gave a very brief description describing that his pastor is a good guy but lacks the authority. 

Elder Garcia then read this scripture in Moroni 8:3
3 I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end.

He described how much he loves their family, he prays for them always and he wants for their family what he wants for his family(because they're less active and not sealed). He said it so tenderly with tears streaming down his faith the spirit was so incredibly strong
.
Then I kind of broke down a little bit as I described how I had left my little sister and my brothers who had been struggling and I haven't been there for them because I have been here in hope that I would find someone like him(Bryan). I have sometimes felt alone but it has just been my hope that I could find someone like him. I told him-testifying of what Elder Garcia had previously said that he just needs to ask of God.

Then Judith began to pour her heart out to her son Bryan that this had made her so happy. She wants to do be baptized to show them the way. She also spoke about how when she came over to the States(she left to work and left her boys with her mother in Mexico) she felt so alone. No one was there to put their arm around her like she can with her boys. She let them know how much she loves them and she hopes they will choose the right.
Then Bryan described how he just felt so confused and how it wasn't too long that after he asked the God for strength that we came to his door. He also described his desire just to do the right thing and he just doesn't know. 

Elder Garcia then described our love for him and asked him if he would ask God.
He said a pleading prayer of gratitude for us and then pleading, asked God for an answer. Again i have never pleaded so hard for God to help someone then in that moment
.
He didn't say he received an answer but I have faith that when we go back on Tuesday he will rededicate himself for this Saturday. There was a moment when he was describing he was confused that I say myself a sophomore boy, hurt, lost, and searching for light but being temporarily unable to find it. I pray that he will have the faith to take that step so he can find the hope that I found. Without that hope I would be lost. However, I have it because I know Jesus is the Christ. And I know that I know this through the words of prophets from the Book of Mormon, Bible, and the words of the prophets today.

I often ask myself-Why me? How am I worthy to be the one to see such a miracle happen. I am not worthy to see it but it is the will of God and I will Glory in this blessing forevermore. I thank God for this mission.

Okay so for everything Else
We made Valentines and made cookies for a bunch of the Moms in Bridgeport(Members, Less Actives, investigators (Judith) and potentials) they all loved it. Sometimes there is a time to knock doors and others it is time to get in the kitchen.

Also one day Elder Garcia got pretty sick and couldn't really leave the house until 5 because I may have fed him some bad sausage in the morning for Breakfast. you never know it could've been something else he ate! I gave him a blessing and I have never felt like it before. I could feel God's love for Elder Garcia. It was such a tender moment. I am so grateful that I have the priesthood of God. I know this is not because who I am
.
We found two 2 new investigators  this week and we are really getting in with a large less active family.
Also we had Branch Conference this week. We talked about the atonement and how if this really happened then it has to effect our lives. I felt in my heart this...

Our heart has to break before God.-We have to have a moment when we realize we cannot do this. For me I cannot save them. It's impossible. Mentally and spiritually I am incapable of helping all of those that need my help understand that Jesus is the Christ. I get stressed out and yes I'm just a man-many of these people need more
We need to make a choice to do God's will-I recommitted yesterday

And then we have to Believe and Act-I have to believe that Jesus is the Christ the redeemer of the world, and ask him to help me and then continue to act and believe he is and will help me. It is here that his help comes, power is given, and miracles are obtained.
On the last interviews to Brewster, Sister Lewis asked the elders what they liked about their companions- this was their reply
Elder Rigby:  Elder Garcia is helping me relax and enjoy my mission and this journey.  His is positive and a great teacher.
Elder Garcia:  I love Elder Rigby’s desires to work.  He’s a wonderful example to me.  I love his love for the people he works with.
Elder Garcia and I are doing great. He doesn't like tracting-very frustrating to me. He walks slow-also frustrating, and I drive him crazy because often I get stressed out and I'm just super tense. Hey, but I'm working on it by practicing faith that I just need to do what I can and because Christ is the savior he will do the rest! 

Elder Garcia is such an awesome Man I love him. He is an answer to my prayers in so many ways. He helps me relax. He helps me realize what I can do to be a better teacher-teach according to needs. He also helps me learn Spanish! I love him!
I also love the new schedule getting out of the house at 10 am is the bomb!

Love you guys glad you loved the valentines!
Pictures taken by President and Sister Lewis on the road to Brewster.  She says the world up north is cold and beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday