Judith, Bryan and Alex are baptized!

Dear Friends and family,
It was an incredible week. I saw my dear friends Judith, Bryan, and Alex, I consider them family now, enter the waters of baptism. I have seen the atonement heal, bless, confirm, and strengthen this young family. I'll always remember my days here and my time with them! I remember the first time we came into their home not too long after Christmas. Judith let us in right away, at the time she was dealing with some struggles with her son Bryan, with the hopes we could help her boys. Judith at the time had little interest but liked us coming by. After a couple weeks of relatively little progress with Judith or the boys, Judith came to church for 3 hrs and found some good friends, I think she really felt it in her heart that this was true that day, and when we had a lesson in a members home later that week and we asked her if she wanted to be baptized as a family she gave us a firm "Yes!"

This leads us to the amazing baptism we had this weekend 12pm Saturday afternoon.
I was waiting at the front door around 11:30 waiting to welcome Judith and her family as Elder Garcia was hurrying to write and print the program; however, I was extremely surprised as 3 of her friends and her kids(about 15 people) arrived with her! I'm sure Heavenly father helped me because I was already nervous and welcoming all these people and helping them and Judith and her Family could've gotten me:) but it didn't and I was calm and invited them all into where we were holding the baptism and we said a little prayer. Luckily after a little chit chat with all of them Elder Garcia came to the rescue and we were able to get them their clothes and help them reverently prepare for the baptism.

Also the Brewster Elders had an investigator who also decided to be baptized on the same Day so our service was both in spanish and english very unique.

I had been asked to baptize little Alex, Elder Garcia-Bryan, and Brother Brown, a kind fellow who came with us on many lessons was chosen by Judith.

I was very surprised how calm and relaxed throughout the whole day but when me and Alex stepped outside to walk around to the font I got so nervous:) it felt like I was going to baptize my little brother maleck(they're about the same size). In the hallway I showed him where to put his hands, took a knee, put my hand on his shoulder and just let him know that his Father and Heaven is so proud of him and so am I. We then we walked into the font; Alex just couldn't stop smiling  and then I baptized him. I was a little worried I was going to mess up the words Habiendo sido comsionado por Jesucristo te bautizo en el nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo but I didn't! I may have not been able to be home for my Brother Maleck's baptism but I was here for this one. The day went on and the baptisms of Judith and Bryan went smoothly. Judith was so happy! She had all her friends there and wow it was just such a great sight. The 7.5 months of work was so worth it.

The next day after Judith's family arrived a little late to church, scaring me to death, we had 3 beautiful confirmations. It was the same as the baptisms so I was able to confirm Alex. I did it in English and Elder Garcia stood next to me and translated to spanish and then when he confirmed Bryan I translated to English. I could've done it but it just felt right to do it this way and probably just a little more gramaticaly correct:)
I could tell Alex loved it and felt good about the whole experience but he obviously didn't grasp it as much as his mom. Tears just fell from her face during the ordinances while she smile.

I'm still in Shock but this was one of the most wonderful moments of my life. Never have I used my time on this Earth better. I'm grateful for my Dad who helped me financially get here and my whole family who has loved me and helped me overcome those challenges that could've deterred me. This would've never happened without them especially My Mom and Dad.

This week was beautiful; however, the Devil has been working very hard on me trying to make me feel like I'm wasting my time or no one will accept us. Constantly he has been whispering these negative and fearful thoughts into my head. I've tried to combat them by repeating to myself what I believe and who I am but I am weak and in some hours of the day have fallen to these thoughts. Nevertheless, I have prayed harder and tried to listen more fervently. This line from president Uctdorf's talk the hope of god's light summarizes how I feel...
the best path for healing was to understand and accept that darkness exists—but not to dwell there. For, as she now knew, light also exists—and that is where she chose to dwell.

I love my mission. I'm love my God. I know he sent me here because he loves me and he loves my family current and future and he loves the people I strive to serve. I know as long as I hold on he will be able to help me move forward because he really is my Savior.

Elder Garcia and I are doing great! He's a little grumpy in the mornings but who's perfect right. I can get stressed towards the afternoons so it doesn't matter! Together we found a less active friend Brother George as we call him. Little did we know we accidentally took him to teach Bryan, Judith and Alex while he was a little drunk. We didn't realize it until he wanted to go get us some drinks at a gas station and he bought 5 beers. Wow I've lived a sheltered life in Cedar City. 

Oh and yes Robert is doing great he came to the Baptism and he just looks good. however, we brought a really kind man but a little autistic with us and he began to yell at robert during a lesson when Robert said that all Churches are good. Robert kicked him out and almost pulled out a big stick to break his head but we got them before something began and Ken left. Robert still trusts the members-just not that guy.

Oh and yes we found a new family this week! Gustavo and his wife Yaretzi and there little kids Diana(6) Yaeer(4) and anthony(2) we taught them the restoration and gave them a book of Mormon. I haven't been able quite yet to get fluent with my spanish but i makes sure to let these people know I love them. I pray that this young father(23) will read and keep our invitation to pray. He and his wife are such good people I hope they feel God's love and then choose to follow it!

Love,
Elder Rigby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st transfers

Coming Home

The drop off- Weeping Wednesday